When Being Sick Gets In The Way

Thursday 6 October 2016
As most of you know, I would tend to classify myself as a fairly optimistic person. No matter the circumstance, I always try to see the good in things. Yes, I have my initial freak out sessions where I panic and complain but once I’ve wrapped my head around something, I’m pretty good to go. Those closest to me also know that I tend to push myself a little bit harder than I should. I’ll ignore the pain in my ankle after accidentally stepping in a hole and twisting it, I’ll put a smile on my face whenever my autoimmune disorder decides it wants to be present in my day, I’ll normally go to work if I’m sick unless it is severely impacting my functioning (i.e. my migraine being so bad that I cannot see), and I’ll wait until the absolute last minute to go to the doctor which normally results in things being way worse than they should be.
"Not today world"
The past few days I’ve been out flat with this weird migraine/cold/flu/strep throat hybrid. Naturally, my body decides that it wants to call it quits right at the start of Blogtober. Initially, I thought “This will be great! I’ll have heaps of time to get my writing done and I can be super prepared for each day”. But then reality set in. I was exhausted, achy, and completely unmotivated. The thought of having to write anything sounded like the worst thing on the bloody planet.
"Nooope"
But I made a commitment and a promise to myself. I would make it through Blogtober and develop a better writing schedule. I want what I post to be pieces I’m proud of and not cold and flu med fueled rubbish. So how exactly does one find motivation when there is slim to none?

First, I allowed myself the opportunity to rest. When I felt tired and found my writing became incoherent, I took a break. I mean I’m friggin sick and running a fever. I can’t expect to power through everything and then take a nap. My body doesn’t work like that. So I allowed myself the time to rest.
"Fact: Puppy cuddles cure everything"
Once I woke up, I set a timer for 10 minutes. During that 10 minutes, I had to be productive with my writing. After the time had concluded, I allowed myself to either go back to sleep or continue working. Most times I found that I would end up working for more than just the 10 minutes so I felt more accomplished when it was nap time.

Prioritising is something that I find incredibly helpful but even more so when I’m ill. Making a list and organising it into what needs to be done vs what can wait is incredibly helpful to give me a slight boost in motivation. I don’t need to clean my room today. I don’t need to run the list of errands that are piling up. I do need to write one blog post. I do need to rest so I can nip this hybrid monster illness in the bud.
"I wants to move but I should probs sleep"
I have it embedded in my mind that if I do not complete Blogtober I’m a failure. But honestly, who cares? Life gets in the way and that doesn’t make me worth any less. Sure, realistically, I may fail at Blogtober BUT I’m going to try my hardest. If anything, failure will teach me to be better prepared so that I can avoid failing a second time. What are some ways you stay motivated when you’re sick?

And until next time...
Stay Curious!

Never miss an adventure by following along on social media:

10 comments

  1. Now that is what I call dedication! I am dealing with an ongoing health problem which is almost solely responsible for my blogging spurts and the lack of them. I admire your Blogtober commitment and briefly thought of taking the challenge but my health excuses held me back. Maybe I should reconsider. Hope you feel better soon and can enjoy your writing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally empathise with you. There are definite times where my health gets in the way of my writing as well. Just give it a go. If anything you'll have prompts for great pieces whenever you are able to complete them!

      Delete
  2. Doing what you can do is all you can do. Writing takes energy. it is a job and like any job it requires effort. When you are sick, the effort seem momentous. You have to be kind to you first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling better soon - having to push through sickness is the worst! Rest up as much as you can :)
    Side note - your dog is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is a bit of a ham but the best when I'm feeling sick.

      Delete
  4. I know how you feel!! My MS and fatigue usually takes a toll on me but I usually give in!! But after reading your blog you have inspired me!! I love reading your blogs!! I pray you have gotten better by now and if not I pray you will get better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a challenge and its ok to take breaks when you're feeling fatigue. But we have to keep pushing through! You can do it!

      Delete
  5. Good for you on keeping up with your goals even when you feel unmotivated. And let me assure you: completing Blogtober does not determine success or failure. What counts is that you tried! Thanks for writing this post, and hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma. I took the weekend to rest because I just wasn't feeling well but I have some excellent pieces (or at least I think so) planned for the rest of the month!

      Delete