9 More American Foods That Are Impossible to Find in Australia

Thursday 20 October 2016
Maybe it is because I burst into tears while trying to find mozzarella sticks in the market. Perhaps it is a sheer fact that I am beyond mentally and physically exhausted. I've decided that today's Blogtober contribution will release: 9 More American Foods That Are Almost Impossible to Find In Australia. If you missed out on the first list, be sure to read 10 Foods That Are Impossible to Find in Australia. I may have missed a few yummy foods!

Tate’s Gluten-Free Cookies
I have only found these amazing cookies while living in Southern California but, according to their website, they're big on the east coast as well. I couldn't eat gluten in the US, so these cookies were a godsend. I still crave these frequently. If only it weren't something like $20 to ship one small bag.

Mozzarella Sticks
These little deep-fried gems right here are the whole reason this list is getting written so quickly. I'm not proud of it but my adult self-cried in the market today when I couldn't find mozzarella sticks in the frozen food section. I could have sworn that Coles sold them, but I guess I was wrong. Where, oh where, can I find cheese sticks in Melbourne?!

Turkey
Sure you can find packaged, sliced turkey in most markets but when it comes to the real turkey, nope not really going to happen. Around Christmas, you'll find frozen turkeys, and I've found some markets will occasionally carry minced turkey but nothing like what it was in the US. I'm sure a local butcher would have to sell turkey, but there isn't one nearby that is convenient to stop.

Queso
Oh, melty cheesy goodness that warms its way into my soul. How could I ever live without you? I've found queso at a few restaurants, but I'm not sure it can be classified as such. It tends just to be baked cheese. This is another make at home dish I frequently make.

Angry Orchard
There are plenty of ciders here in Australia but none that quite have the flavour of Angry Orchard. Somersby is close but is a little bit too sweet. I enjoyed the non-alcoholic (even though there is alcohol in Angry Orchard) apple cider taste that Angry Orchard captured. Mix that with a little Fireball, and you've got apple pie in alcoholic form.

Tri-tip
Thankfully Costco has started carrying tri-tip! Unfortunately, Costco does not always sell this cut. I realise that tri-tip isn't the most fabulous cut of meat on the planet. But you slow cook that baby for 16 hours in a delicious homemade bbq sauce, and you have a little slice of heaven on earth. Many of the American BBQ restaurants will have brisket on the menu but never tri-tip. Y'all are missing out!

Nutterbutters
I out of the blue started to crave Nutterbutters the other day. I used to love these cookies as a kid. They're two biscuits with peanut butter in the middle. Amazing! But as peanut butter treats are not a massive thing in Australia, I have not been able to find these goodies.

Tomatillos
These beautiful green tomatoes are perfect for any dish. It saddens me that any salsa verde that is found in Australia (outside of the salsa verde I've found at La Lupita) has capsicum instead of tomatillo. This substitute may keep the salsa green, but it completely changes the flavour. I've tried to find tomatillo seeds to grow my own, but I think I need to check out the local nursery.

Green Chilis
Yes, you can find a small range of green chilis. Heck, recently every time I go to the market, I find jalapeños. But there is a whole list of chilis, like poblano chilis, that aid in the Mexican flavours I like my dishes to have. Jalapeños, especially the tiny ones at the markets, do not do any wonders when cooking chilli rellenos. I have removed a large staple to my diet. Two years later, I'm still slowly adjusting.

I know that moving to a new country comes with some adjustments. To be honest, I love my life in Australia, and I feel I've assimilated rather well. I hope that these posts are not read as me being ungrateful but more informative and nostalgic. Sometimes you just need a little piece of home.

What are some of the foods you miss while living abroad? Be sure to share them in the comments below.

And until next time...
Stay Curious!

Never miss an adventure by following along on social media:
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest

17 comments

  1. My American friends who have moved to Australia are always requesting certain foods they can't get there. I always find these foods interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I frequently request care packages from back home. Ranch has been the hardest to live without. I always get excited when people visit though so I can show them the various Aussie goodies.

      Delete
  2. This is so interesting! One of those things you wouldn't think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was immediately drawn to this article because my cousins have similar food-related issues in Spain. They miss ranch dressing the most! And Reese's peanut butter cups. I didn't realize there were so many other American foods that they probably won't have access, just as you don't. Turkey?! That's probably the most shocking. I am so sorry you're without these. But I hope you will be able to find other Australian items to fill the void.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it super weird that turkey was hard to find here. But lamb is everywhere! Where I lived in the US it was so difficult to find lamb and it was soo expensive!

      Delete
  4. Even Thailand needs some of these things. There are so many things US and western world has, I wish Thailand had. Like more healthy treats. Those that are here, are very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I did like about Thailand was that lollis were super expensive. It definitely was a deterrent from purchasing sweets!

      Delete
  5. This are defo 9 foods I would miss too.Living away from home we crave the simplest things we took for granted.
    When I lived in London I missed Biltong which is very similiar to jerky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I don't eat half of those and I'm an American! I think it might be time for you to grow a garden. You can also make queso yourself. It's hard when you live abroad and miss your favorites though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Queso is difficult because I can't get the same cheeses. I've made variations but nothing like what I made in back home. Same thing with the garden. I have a few small potted plants (large back yards are not a thing in suburban Australia), but the trouble is importing a lot of the seeds I need. Australia has extremely strict rules and regulations when it comes to importing goods.

      Delete
  7. Yikes, I'm not sure I would survive without Turkey and Queso. I'm not American but I don't even know what the other items are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often hear complaints from my fiance (he's American) about not being able to find most things he wanted in this part of the world :) Costco is great but the downside is: they sell most items in bulk :( It's even pretty troublesome to find cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea bulk buying can be a bit tricky but I tend to meal prep and freeze a lot. Where are you living? Most countries call cilantro coriander.

      Delete
  9. I never really miss types of food when traveling, interesting to hear others do though! Maybe you could get someone to send you a food parcel from back home? Suitable for some of the things on your list I suppose, perhaps not for the whole turkey?...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be hard to have American stomach, but there must be Chinese food I still can rely on

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you are living away from your home country, there are many things that you miss and top on the list would be the food and/or food items . It really warms the heart when you are able to find what you are looking for, if not you are sure to be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man! I would die without proper Mexican food. Is the salsa verde tasty? I can't imagine it without tomatillos. And don't even get me started on the queso. I've been having the weirdest cravings for American food since we left the country in June. I've even started making a list for when we get back... It closely resembles the dream birthday party of a seven-year-old but I'm not ashamed!

    ReplyDelete