What to See When in Delhi, India

Friday 2 October 2020

India is a country full of such rich culture and history. As it is an incredibly large country, one could easily spend months exploring. However, if your time is limited, you may choose to stick to Northern India. Even just exploring Delhi, one could easily spend weeks. It can be hard to figure out what to visit especially when your time may be limited. Here are some of my must-sees to help make your Indian holiday incredible. 

What to See When Exploring Delhi, India


Qutub Minar

As if India isn't filled with enough deep, rich culture, right in New Delhi you'll find the Qutub Minar. This tall sandstone tower is an incredible sight to see. Surrounded by other ruins, you'll have plenty to do and see. One can easily spend a few hours exploring this area. 


Qutub Minar Tower


While you're no longer able to go up into the tower, that doesn't mean you'll be unable to fully appreciate its beauty. Even standing at the base of the tower, you get the sheer impressive nature of this 72.5-metre structure. For it still to be standing today being built in 1199 is quite impressive. 


The India Gate

The India Gate is a beautiful war memorial standing in the middle of New Delhi. When you visit, you will definitely get some Arc de Triomphe vibes. It was built to commemorate those who perished fighting in the Indian armed services. At the centre of the memorial, you'll find an eternal flame burning.


India Gate at Night

I highly recommend visiting around dusk. The India Gate becomes lit with the colours of the Indian flag. There are a number of street vendors selling incredible food. However, if street food isn't really your thing, there are a number of incredible restaurants and shops located incredibly close to the memorial. 


Bahai Lotus Temple

This temple is renowned for its fascinating architecture. With its white marble exterior, it gives the Taj Mahal a run for its money. The building looks just like a lotus flower and it is just so exquisitely breathtaking. Words cannot adequately describe this building. Random cool fact: it is one of the first temples in Delhi to be powered by solar energy! Regular prayer sessions are held at the temple so just remember to be respectful when you do visit. 


Old Delhi

Visiting Old Delhi can often be a chaotic experience, however, it's like being transported back to another time. Here you'll find streets and alleyways jam-packed with shops, incredible food and so many people. In Old Delhi, you'll be able to explore the Red Fort, some incredible mosques or just marvel at the amazing architecture that lines the street.


Ruins in Delhi


Make sure you come hungry. Trust me, you'll want to try all the incredible different types of food lining the streets. There are a number of bazaars you should definitely visit as well. You'll absolutely be able to satisfy all of your shopping needs. You will come home with some incredible souvenirs. 


Connaught Place

After you've visited the India Gate, make you way over to Connaught Place. The architecture of the building is quite different from others in Delhi but that doesn't make it any less beautiful. There are a number of hotels, restaurants, shops, and offices in this area. Not sure where to start? You might want to visit the old cinema and catch a silent film. Or visit the Hanuman temple. Or if you're wanting a little bit of a break, take a seat on the giant stairwell and people watch after grabbing some food. 


Dilli Haat

If you didn't get your fill of markets and bazaars in Old Delhi, you must visit Dilli Haat. It is the biggest market in Delhi lined with tons of vendors, lots of incredible places to eat, and even cultural performances. Whilst there are permanent fixtures to the market, there are rotating vendors so each time you visit, you'll find something different. Here I was able to find some of the neatest handcrafted postcards I've ever seen. I was unable to find anything like them anywhere else on my Indian travels so I was very happy that I made the purchase. Trust me when I say, you'll find some very unique items at Dilli Haat. 



National Handicraft and Handloom Museum

This museum used to be called the Crafts Museum so you may hear it referred to by that name. For how centrally located the Museum is, it doesn't seem to be as popular as its surrounding sights. I'm honestly not sure why more people do not have the National Handicraft and Handloom Museum because it sure is impressive. One can easily spend a couple hours exploring and taking in the rich cultural history. There are thousands of pieces to view but there are also cultural performances so you're able to gain a greater appreciation for traditional Indian folk art and dance. 


Honestly, it can be hard to narrow down what to do when you're on a limited time frame. I wish I could have spent more time in Delhi so I could have explored a bit more but loved the time I had there. Have you ever visited Delhi? What were your favourite sights? If you've never been to Delhi, what would you most like to see? 


And until next time...

Stay curious!








18 comments

  1. looks fabulous. i always have wanted to visit India. You're right about the gate - does look like Arc de Triomphe. And I'd love to visit old town Dehli and the markets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to visit Delhi, India one day. It looks like a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Delhi few years back. I loved the crowded streets of Old Delhi, the sounds and aromas of the markets and than the piece and quite meditation time I had in The Lotus Temple. You bring me back so nice memories. I miss India

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice tourist spots! I would love to visit there someday.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Finally a detailed guide to one of the best known cities in India. It really fascinated me and made me want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it would be so amazing to visit Dehli. I've always heard that it's a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been throwing around the idea of visiting India on our next trip, and this just cemented it for me. I think Delhi would be an awesome place to explore with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe how beautiful and impressive the architecture in Delhi is. I would love to go there one day. Maybe that will be our next trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are awesome! I would love to visit India!! It has been on my bucket list for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. India is an amazing place full of wonderful destinations to discover! I wish I can go visit some day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an incredible place with an amazing and rich culture. Couldn't wait to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. India is such a beautiful place!! Wish I can visit one day! This is an awesome guide!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its a grand place. I belong to India and I know how precious the city is. I have visited so many time, personal as well as business. Every time I visit I love it more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. India is such a beautiful place! I would love to check out all of these places. I would love to see all of these temples!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's nice to discover things to do in Delhi, India. I'll definitely note of visiting old markets and bazaars when I get the chance to fly there. The postcards seem interesting! Lucky you got to find the best ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never even thought of going to Delhi, but these pictures look awesome. It would be a nice place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow so much to see and do in Delhi. Such a shame we can't travel at the moment, but hopefully by 2022 we will be good to go again x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have bene in India but in Mumbai and Pune. I haven't been in Delhi. I hope to see it soon.

    ReplyDelete