8 Things to Do in Koh Larn

Friday 11 September 2020

There are a number of stunning islands in Thailand. In fact, Thailand is quite infamous for its southern islands. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't incredible islands just south of Bangkok. If your trip to Thailand doesn't allow the time to go to the South Islands, do yourself a favour and book a trip to Koh Larn (sometimes called Ko Lan).




Less than 2 hours from Bangkok (depending on your mode of transport) Koh Larn is the closest island. Perfect for a shorter trip. As boats depart from Pattaya daily, it's easy to squeeze this island getaway into any holiday. But if the convenience isn't enough to convenience you to visit Koh Larne, here are my top reasons to add Koh Larn to your Thailand travel plans. 


Disconnect From the World

Koh Larn is definitely a different scene from Pattaya. One might think that because the island is just a short boat ride from the mainland that it would also be a party island, not the case. Whilst in the busy season there can be quite a few people on the island, its relatively quiet and a great place to unwind. 


The island shuts down relatively early. There normally isn't much open past 8 pm. So if you're wanting a disconnect, this is a great way to make it happen. Also, while there is internet and cell service on the island, power can be a bit unpredictable. When I was staying there, I got caught in a little storm and went without power for a bit. It wasn't a problem though. I was still able to get some incredible food and the forced disconnect from my phone did my soul some good. 


Relax in the Ocean

Ok so if you've been to Pattaya you know the beaches and the water might not be the most appealing in the world. Because of the location of the island, it's far enough away from the mainland to have some incredibly clear water and still inland enough that the ocean waves stay nice and calm. 



My recommendation: find a beach you enjoy, grab that inflatable neck pillow you brought on the plane, stick it around your neck, and float in the waters. The soft, gentle rocking of the ocean waves will be just the relaxation your soul is craving. Just make sure you have someone looking out for you. You don't want to fall asleep in the ocean. 


Swing in the Sunset

Everyone dreams of that picturesque holiday photo and Koh Larn does not disappoint. Now I cannot for the life of me remember where this beach is and I've tried finding the specific beach on the internet but even that has failed me. Don't quote me but I feel this swing is located at Ta Yai Beach. 



Regardless, you can ask the locals and they'll be able to point you in the right direction. If you want a magical photo, I highly recommend going around sunset. Not only will you get a wonderful sunset view but you'll get a photograph that will have people envious of your travels. 


Bike Around the Island

Koh Larn isn't the biggest island at only 2 square miles, it's pretty easy to see the entire island in a short period of time. The island itself is quite hilly. So if walking isn't your thing, try renting a pushbike or a motorbike. This will help you get from Point A to Point B while being able to take in as much of the scenery as possible. 


Visit the Monkey Beach

If you're anything like me, you love animals. And the chance to get a little closer to animals is like a dream come true. Nual Beach or the Monkey Beach is your opportunity to get up close with some wild monkeys. 


Nual Beach is famous for a group of monkeys that live on the hillside. Whilst you can feed them, you're probably better off just appreciating the monkeys for their cuteness. There have been 2 reports of the monkeys biting people but that was due to people just being dumb. Have some common sense, give the monkeys space, don't try to pat them or cuddle them, and you'll be alright. 


Hit Up Samae Beach for Water Sports

If you're wanting a little less relaxation and a little more adventure, Samae beach is the spot for you. This picturesque white sandy beach not only has plenty of space but also its the hub for water sports. Whether you want to try out parasailing, jet skiing, a banana boat ride or snorkelling, there are so many options for fun adventurous activities this beach. 


Relax on Tien Beach

If water sports aren't really your speed, Tien Beach may be the perfect spot for you. Whilst this beach can get a bit crowded, it is the perfect place to relax for the day. Hire out a beach chair and lounge in the sun. The water is calm enough to get in and go for a swim if you need to cool down a little. There are a few places to eat as well so you don't need to worry about travelling around the island to get food. 



Craving a little bit of adventure? There is a nice walk to the Tien Beach Viewpoint. It's an easy walk and gives you some gorgeous views of the beach. 


Eat Fresh at the Markets

There are some amazing places to eat in Koh Larn. I personally loved going down to Soul Sweet in the morning for a coffee and a treat but if you're sticking to the resorts to eat, you're missing out on some seriously good food. There are a number of local places to eat that are just incredible. If seafood is your thing, check out the market to get some incredible eats. 



Have you ever travelled to Koh Larn before? What did you think of the island? If you've travelled to any of the Thai Islands, what was the most memorable part of your holiday? Share your favourite travel stories in the comments below!


And until next time...

Stay curious!


18 comments

  1. Holy moly! I'm not sure if it's safe for my family to go there. We might not ever come back! That is seriously so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a family of beach bums, so Koh Larn looks abosolutely perfect to me. I know we would love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Places like Koh Larn are why I've been trying to put together a trip to Thailand with my husband. It is so beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Koh Larn looks like a beautiful place to visit. would love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that swim at sunset looks like a dream place to be. It is a great list for things to enjoy at Koh Larn, I am definetly visiting Koh Larn on my next vacations to Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Koh Larn before reading this. It looks and sounds like a place I'd really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome, I have never heard of Koh Larn before. Thailand is on my bucket list, I will have to check out, Koh Larn for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna swing there and eat that gorgeous dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems like a visit to Koh Larn is an incredible experience. Would love to just lounge around the beautiful beaches and try their delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I’ve never been to Koh Larn myself before, I would love to go there and see the area one day. Fingers crossed we can get back to travelling safely soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful serene place to be there. I can get lost here easily in my thoughts and dreams. The problem is after I visit such a place, I dont feel like returning back to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. someone please take me there. this looks amazing. i can't wait to travel again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely place to visit, all the photos look so peaceful. Shame I live so far away but maybe I will be able to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been to Thailand before but not in Koh Larn. It seems like a paradise. I want to travel soon so I can visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. monkey beach? how fun is that. i would love to see the monkeys (From a distance) no wishing to get bit. lol. but are their droppings all over the ground? yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks amazing! I've only been to Koh Rong and that was like 6 years ago. I'd love to visit Koh Larn.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not only never been here, but I have never heard of it either. But man, it sounds like an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Koh Larn looks beautiful. Thank you for letting me know about this.

    ReplyDelete