Why Australia is the Best Place for Nature Lovers

Tuesday 11 December 2018

Every country has its own natural wonders, but some of the ones in Australia cannot be matched by anywhere else in the world. Anyone that loves nature will be enthralled by some of them, and who people who are not nature lovers could not fail to be amazed by some of the sights.



The Great Barrier Reef

Officially one of the seven natural wonders of the world, the reef has more than 400 different types of coral and over 1,500 species of fish. It is made up of about 2,900 individual reefs and is 2,300 km long. It is the largest living structure on earth and is the only living thing on the planet that is visible from space. There are Reef tours in glass bottom boats, you can snorkel, dive, sail or admire it from the air. There is nothing else like it, and visiting the Great Barrier Reef is an experience that is never forgotten.




Uluru

Formerly known as Ayers Rock, Uluru is located in the heart of the outback.  Uluru is its Aboriginal name and is also now what it is officially called. This huge piece of sandstone stands higher than the Eiffel Tower at 348meters, is 3.65 km long and 1.9 km wide. It is sacred to the indigenous Australians and believed to be around 700 million years old.

Climbing the rock is not illegal, but the aborigines see it as an insult to their culture and the practice is frowned upon. Most visitors respect this, and very few attempt to make the climb.

Fraser Island

Fraser Island was formed over 800,000 years ago when Australia was still joined to Antarctica. It is the world’s largest island made of sand and stretch for 123 km long and 23 km wide. It has been listed as a World Heritage Site because it is constantly moving and evolving. For anyone that loves camping, beach fishing, inland lakes, the rainforest or 4-wheel drive treks, it is an ideal location. You might also be lucky enough to spot migrating humpback whales off the coast.

Kata Tjuta

This natural wonder is just about 50 km down the road from Uluru.  It is said that it originates from a similar time. However, it is much larger than Uluru and has 36 domes that are spread over a 20km area. The largest of the domes stand 546 meters high. Its name is an Aboriginal word meaning ‘many heads’. The best time to see it is at sunrise or sunset, and there are organized walks through parts of it.

The Gordon River

Until the river reaches the Macquarie Harbour, it is uninhabited all the way along its 200 km course. You can take a boat down the calm waters, which has ancient and lush rainforest on either side. It is listed as a World Heritage site, the land around it being called the Gordon-Franklin Wild Rivers National Park.


There is an enormous amount of things that nature lovers would admire in Australia, including so many more than we have mentioned here. It is without a doubt a paradise for anyone that loves natural things, and there are probably too many of them to see in a lifetime.

If you love nature, then you’ll certainly love Australia.

Have you ever visited any other places above? Which place would you most like to visit? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

And until next time...
Great Ocean Road
Stay curious!


27 comments

  1. I need to visit Uluru read about it when I was 14 and had obsessed about so much since the colour changes just fascinated me. I hope to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those places indeed seem like a haven for nature lovers! Hoping to visit Australia someday! I'm a nature lover so I'm pretty sure I'd have an amazing time there. Cheers to more travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not visited any of the places you have mentioned but the Great Barrier Reef is a well known fan favorite! I cannot wait until the opportunity presents itself so that I can travel there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Australia has been on my top places I want to travel list since I was a kid! I love all of the nature lover sights and think it is just stunningly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an incredible country. I fell in love with it so much I ended up moving here.

      Delete
  5. One thing I love about Australia is the diversity of the landscapes. I live in Perth, WA and there depending on which way your travel, we aren’t far from forests, bush lands, beaches or desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved visiting Perth! I too love how diverse Australia is. Even within Victoria you're close to the snow, forests, beach, and bush.

      Delete
  6. Australia is on the bucket list. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many beautiful spots to visit. The beaches there are calling my name for a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Australia is a wonderful country, and it is as wonderful as its people. My cousins live there, and they only speak of good things about Australia.

    ReplyDelete

  9. You have not struggled to convince me because Australia has always been a dream that I keep at heart, a place that I dream and I hope to visit and live!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to visit Australia someday, I think it’s so beautiful. The only thing I don’t like is all the poisonous animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be heaps of poisonous animals but you're pretty safe. Just use common sense when you encounter animals and you'll be super safe :)

      Delete
  11. The photos look amazing! I have never been, but it would be a dream come true to visit the Great Barrier Reef! I remember seeing pictures of it when I was a kid and it was my dream to see it live! Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely book a trip! You won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  12. I agree, Australia is one of the most amazing place to visit. I've only visited Melbourne and Sydney, but I've heard and read so many awesome things about the destinations above. So looking forward to visiting those places one day, especially The Great Barrier Reef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't Melbourne and Sydney awesome? I've been living in Melbourne for the past 4.5 years and love it! I'm finally going to be diving the Great Barrier Reef next week!

      Delete
  13. Australia is totally a place I would love to visit! I want to go scuba diving there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some incredible dive spots depending on what you're looking for. Great Barrier Reef is obviously a must but you can also go diving with the whale sharks off the coast of Western Australia or shark diving in Victoria.

      Delete
  14. Okay, sold! This is definitely one of the places that I need to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia is an incredible country! I cannot recommend it more!

      Delete
  15. Oh wow. These are cool places to see! My friend lives in Australia, will share this with her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have always wanted to go to Australia. It looks absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to visit Australia. I'm putting the Uluru on the top of my list of Must See's!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, we are planning to go to Australia and I am sure that the kids will love to explore the great outdoors there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been to Australia but I must admit I have never been to a lot of place. Reading this makes me visit again. Indeed such so many reasons to visit and consider again going on a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love nature and Australia has been on the top of my list to visit. One day !!

    ReplyDelete