Adventures in Aussieland's Most Memorable Christmas

Wednesday 12 December 2018
We've made it to the final day of the 12 Days of Blogmas. First, Merry Christmas to all of my lovely reader! I wish you a magical day, and I hope all your Christmas wishes come true!

Throughout the last 12 days, I've been reflecting on Christmas past. I've analysed the challenging aspects of the holidays and tried to created fun solutions to make them more memorable, but I haven't really shared any past Christmas memories. 



Today, I'd like to take you on a little trip down memory lane to my most memorable Christmas. In a family as large as mine, it actually was quite difficult narrowing down just one unforgettable Christmas. 


Would I choose a funny memory like when my best friend and I lit the wall at my dad's house on fire trying to curl our hair before my dad took us to a play? Or the time my granny started dancing on top of the bar? While they were pleasant memories, I've chosen a simpler one...


To grandmother's house, we go...

My family is originally from Michigan, so I was lucky enough to pretty much always have a white Christmas. While back in the Mitten, we would split our time between my dad's family and my mum's family. 

On this year, we had spent Christmas Eve with my dad's side of the family and would be spending Christmas Day with my mum's side. The drive to my Granny's house is literally something out of a Christmas movie or postcard. You drive through a tiny, snow-covered town before turning down an unpaved back country road. After driving for about 20 minutes, fearing you're completely lost and will never see civilisation again, you round a corner, and a long driveway appears. 

As you ascend the driveway, there stands a picturesque snow-covered house surrounded by forest. I never truly appreciated it at the time, but my Granny's house was incredible. This year, the entire family was going to be staying in the house at the same time. To put this in perspective, my mum is one of six. So there were a lot of people staying in this house. 

My family, God bless them, are all incredibly strong-willed and opinionated. We're all loud, a wee bit hyperactive, loving, and love trying to embarrass each other. You could see how this quickly would turn into arguments and frustration. 

While I do remember a few debates taking place during this Christmas, we quickly moved passed them. The weatherman stated that a big snowstorm was due to hit soon. We didn't care. We were all sitting around a big table playing CLR, laughing, and enjoying each others company. 


Snowball fight anyone?

Well, we managed to get snowed in. With Granny living so far off the beaten path, her street would be last on the list to be ploughed. We lost power for a while, and it was cold as outside. You would think this would be enough for the first annual hunger games to break out inside the house. While I'm sure it crossed a few peoples minds, we somehow managed to escape the 38ish hour snowed in entirely in one piece. A few people did end up sleeping on the stairs, but we made out alive. 


The family spent time shoving the long driveway (who's brilliant idea was that?), having snowball fights, dancing like nerds, and just enjoying each others company. And while we were all longing for some solitude, by the end of the stay, we were sad to see each other go. We knew it would be a long time before we would see each other again. 

I may be slightly romanticising this Christmas in my head. I'm sure there were many more arguments, tears, and anger throughout those few days. But amazingly, that's not what I remember. I remember all the fun we had. But I guess that's what makes Christmas so amazing, we choose to remember all the good times and the fun we have with our family and friends. 

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! Wishing you a memorable holiday season! 


And until next time...
Stay curious!

Never miss an adventure by following along on social media:

4 comments

  1. Happy tears from this awesome article and memories of our family. We are so blessed! Don't forget the matching PJ's and black socks! And the group that went out for a walk/hike with John (homeowner) and got lost!!! hahaha Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Love you and miss you bunches, Aunt Kathy, Uncle Scott, Glenn and Kristin xxxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time spent at Granny Liz's really are some of my favourite childhood memories. They were some very special times! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all as well! Love and miss you heaps. Maybe we'll have to do Christmas down under some year soon :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great list of places to visit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I think your comment got published on the wrong post. Not sure how that happened.

      Delete