How Expensive is Australia?

Thursday 13 September 2018
Australia is a wonderful country to visit. There is a rich cultural history, beautiful beaches, amazing hikes, and incredible food. It can be the trip of a lifetime. However, it can also be a costly one. Australia is an island which means what isn't made in Australia is imported, and it's expensive to import to an island. 



So if you want to travel to Australia, stay in hotels, always eat out, get around the city and country, and shop, how much money will this holiday set you back? 



1. Food
Eating out can be quite pricey when in Australia. One can easily drop $35/person depending on what you like to order. Here are some of the most popular foods and average prices:

  • Cheeseburger $15
  • Fish and Chips $16
  • Chicken Parma $15 (on a parma night)
  • Smashed Avo Toast $15
  • Mug of Coffee $4.50


2. Alcohol
Alcohol is friggin expensive in Australia. No happy hour can save you from the high price of alcohol. It's been said that some of the tax on alcohol here goes to help fund the health care system, but I'm not too sure on this one. If you're planning a big night out, be prepared to say goodbye to $100 because you'll easily drop this on a couple drinks. 

  • Beer Standard Pint $9
  • Wine $10
  • Spirits $15


3. Accommodation
Lodging is definitely not cheap in Australia. And if you're from the States, it can be quite confusing to find. If you search for hotels, chances are your result will yield pubs instead of actual hotels. Not wanting to stay in hostels? Here's the average prices you're looking at:

  • Hotels $200/night
  • Airbnb $140/night
  • Apartments $120/night
Some alternatives aren't so pricey per night, but accommodation in Australia is definitely more expensive than most countries. 

4. Transport
Getting around from place to place isn't always easy. Thankfully, Australia (in most major cities) has a wonderful transportation network. There are trams, trains, buses everything you would need to get from point A to point B. There are also some rideshare apps if you're in a bit of a time crunch. 

Some cities have free public transport within the CBD but overall public transport tends to be fairly inexpensive. 

  • Public Transport $8/day
  • Taxi $30 (depending on the areas you're travelling)
  • Uber Pool $5
  • Car rental $40/day
  • Flights within Australia $35-250 rt
  • Petrol $1.50/Litre

5. Shopping
Australia has some incredible shopping. Chadstone Shopping Centre boasts being one of the greatest shopping centres in the Southern Hemisphere. But it can be quite pricey. Due to import taxes and other price increases, designer goods tend to be more expensive here in Australia. On a positive note, basic commodities such as daily needs products are relatively cheap. 

If you're planning on shopping at local markets and making your own meals, you're going to save a lot of money. There's lots of high end and inexpensive clothes within each major city as well. You just have to know where to look. 

Travelling to Australia doesn't have to break the bank. Budget-friendly travel options within Australia is possible! Read more about touring Melbourne in under $50/day and Australia on a budget to find out how. 


And until next time...
Stay curious!

27 comments

  1. Australia has always been at the top of my bucket list! So beautiful! Glad to know that it won't cost me an arm and a leg once we decide to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend in Australia, she moved there from my country. Was jealous because it's such a beautiful country, now not so jealous anymore. Haha. Nah, but I really have to visit AUS, even if it is expensive! It's a country/continent you truly can't miss out on! These prices reminds me of Cyprus, also an island, also expensive as all heck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea in all honesty, it isn't any more costly than living in Southern California. My bills are fairly similar but my pay is much better here in Australia. Definitely is inexpensive you're living here.

      Delete
  3. Your tips about travelling to Australia are truly useful. The details are quite instructive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope they come in handy one day if you're ever in Aus.

      Delete
  4. Whosoever is interested in visiting Australia should go for it. You have noted all the stuff down so well and perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh cool, I'm glad it's not as expensive as I thought. I hope to make it to Australia one day. It's so pretty there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like compared to some destinations, Australia is rather pricey but maybe the currency and exchange rate make it look like it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the exchange rates, its not much more expensive than SoCal. It's just not as cheap as some of the SE Asian countries. But doesn't mean you shouldn't visit!

      Delete
  7. I'm from the States and I can't even begin to imagine how expensive a round trip flight would be. The flight time would be so long that I would want to spend minimally 7 days, but ideally 10. It's official. I need to win the lottery if I ever have a shot of going to Australia (I do want to go!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually sometimes cheaper than flying coast to coast in the US! The most I've ever paid was $725rt USD. No need to win the lottery! I also have a few posts on how I afford to travel. It's super doable!

      Delete
  8. I have been staying in Australia for 8 years and I love the country, the season, the multi cultural food & the scenery. Totally agree with you eating can be expensive and I remembered most of the time, I am making my own lunch boxes when I go to work. It saves up to more than half for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think Australia becomes much cheaper if you live here because the pay is so incredible! I too try to make my own lunches so I can save even more (so I can travel more frequently)

      Delete
  9. Wow this is such an interesting read, especially that I just came back from Australia. Yeah, you're right, it could be pretty costly traveling to Australia, especially when it comes to popular cities like Sydney, Melbourne, and Gold Coast if you don't know the hacks. It is great that you shared the tips on how to explore Melbourne in under $50/day. It would be really helpful for the travellers who would want to visit this beautiful city on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to visit Australia one day! It is great that you have tips on how to make Melbourne more of a budget friendly visit! Even the most expensive cities can be reasonable if you know just a few insider tips! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have lived in sydney for a while and since I was working there it was affordable but for travelers I guess it all depends on the exchange rate between your currency and AUD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think living here makes it more affordable. Our wages are incredible!

      Delete
  12. As much as I'd always wanted to visit Australia my love of beer burgurs and coffee says I need to win the lottery first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely don't need to win the lottery but depending on what country you're from, your dollar might not stretch as far as other countries. Luckily I've written a few posts on ways to save money in Australia and how to get the best deals!

      Delete
  13. When a place is such a great travel destination as Australia, it might be quite expensive especially when it comes to accommodation. But even though,I'm glad that food isn't as costly...fries are my favorite and I wouldn't want to miss that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Australia is a place that I would love to visit, but I had no idea that it would be so bloody expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out some of my other posts. I have heaps about free and inexpensive things to do around Australia! It doesn't have to be expensive :)

      Delete
  15. I have a friend who now lives in Australia who does her major shopping in Indonesia and the Philippines. Every time we meet up, we always end up shopping! She says she needs to restock her clothes. She said if she spends the same amount in Australia, she would only be able to buy half. :P And to think they are of the same brand!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does sound like it's a bit prices in Australia. But I am not sure I know how pricey it is just looking at the cost. With the conversion rates I imagine things would change. It wouldn't just be straight up dollars but an Australian version which would make it not as pricey as it seems at first blush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything listed is in Australian dollars :) So if you're travelling from the US, the UK, or Europe things will be a little cheaper for you. However, if you're travelling from many SE Asian, South American, or African countries, its going to be much more expensive.

      Delete
  17. I would love to visit Australia. I would be coming from the US so reading your comment above that it would be a little cheaper makes the cost to travel a little bit better. Either way, it definitely sounds like a trip to save up for and that it would be worth every penny saved. I hope we can make a trip to Australia possible in the future. It is so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very helpful information, especially now that I can finally start planning a trip to this wonderful destination that has been on my list for so long. Luckily, with Australia's abundance of nature, visitors can have many experiences that don't cost a thing, as a way to balance things out.

    ReplyDelete