The Great Barrier Reef: A Bittersweet Holiday Trip

Saturday 22 August 2020
For as long as I can remember, I dreamt about visiting Cairns and scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef. I remember seeing the most vibrant images of the reef growing up. As I've always felt quite at peace scuba diving in the depths of the ocean, why would I deprive myself of diving in one of the most famous dive locations in the world? I knew the reef wasn't going to be as bright, vibrant and full of life as the pictures I saw as a child, but I don't think I was adequately prepared for the section of the reef I explored. 


Before booking a reef tour, I did a ton of research trying to find the best location. Most of my research indicated that most the sections of the reef off the coast of Cairns were incredibly bleached; however, there were still some pockets where one could enjoy the reef and all its aquatic wonders. Whilst this tour was a little more expensive than many leaving out of Carins, I'd say it was worth it. In the future, I'll be sharing a post for my tips and advice on what to look for when booking your trip to the Great Barrier Reef, but today, this is not that post. 

Once boarding the ship, my excitement grew. Initially, I had signed up to snorkel only. I'm not sure why I did this (probably because I was a broke arse uni student and wanted to save money). Before the boat reached our designated spot, an emotional wave hit me. Growing up, my dad always promised we would dive the Great Barrier Reef together. It was then I knew, I needed to sign up for a dive in honour of the promise we made each other.

As I'm already a certified diver, I did not need to do the "Intro to scuba diving" course the ship offered. It meant that there was a bit more flexibility and freedom with my dives. I wasn't required to hold hands or link arms with anyone, we got to do a bit deeper on our dives, and there was more reef to explore! I was excited. I could not wait to get into the water and experience something I'd been dreaming about my entire life. 

Jumping into the water and starting my descent, my heart sank. Where was the colour? Where were the fish? Where was any semblance of a functioning ecosystem? I tried to stay optimistic because I knew there had to be some life, I just wasn't expecting that level of decline. That first dive didn't yield much in the way of sea life. We stayed relatively close to the boat; however, the deeper we went, the more colour and life we found. Tucked into the bleached coral were vibrant urchins, fish, and even new colourful coral growth. 

The second dive we got to explore a little further away from the boat. This dive, I saw more colour, more life, and it helped give me a little bit more hope. The urchins were colourful, the clams were massive, and there were many vibrant fish swimming within the reef. It was during this time that I spotted a baby shark and a lone sea turtle making its way closer and closer to us. 

We began our swim back towards the boat. But I noticed we had a visitor trailing us. That sea turtle I spotted during the dive was making its way back the same way we were. The pictures that were taken will stay with me for a lifetime. There was an Intro to Diving group under the water at that time. Naturally, most of them swam, trying to get as close to the turtle as possible. Note to anyone who actually wants to get close to sea life, DON'T GO CHASING AFTER IT


I stayed a fair bit away from the other excited divers and our dear sea turtle friend made his way right up to me. I got a boop on the nose and then he went on his way. After, a sense of peace and serenity washed over me. As crazy as it sounds, I know that little sea turtle was my dad's way of letting me know we had finally gone on our scuba trip to the Great Barrier Reef. 

Back on the boat, I was elated to share my experience with my friends. They too saw our sea turtle friend while snorkelling but didn't get to experience such a close encounter. The trip back to the mainland was one of excitement and happiness. While it may not have been the reef I grew up seeing photos of, there still was life and hope. 

Have you ever dove the Great Barrier Reef? What was your experience like? Share it in the comments below.

And until next time...
Stay Curious




14 comments

  1. No. I never been to the great barrier reef, but it looks fun. I love the picture with you and the sea turtle, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked reading about your experience, so thrilling. Have read about Great Barrier reef so much. Loved your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I'm so happy for you! I've never tried scuba diving before but diving in the great barrier reef must have been such a great experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was! Snorkelling just wasn't the same as diving.

      Delete
  4. I read an article about the decline of the Great Barrier Reef years ago. I am so sad that it has still not recovered. But I do love your turtle story and your ability to think fondly of your dad through this experience. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully COVID has allowed for some regrowth and recovery. I'm hoping that will bring about more awareness towards the reefs decline and we'll have the ability to try to correct it!

      Delete
  5. Wow, Cairns looks like such an incredible place to visit! After reading through this post, I definitely know that this is on my travel bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow i definitely need to go do some scuba diving in australia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. sounds like a great experience. Glad it got better as the trip went along. A sea turtle! so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anything it's made me want to do some more reef conservation work!

      Delete
  8. Wow, this sounds like an amazing adventure, my daughter will love the sea Animals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Barrier Reef is one of the places I want to visit. I want to experience it personally and see the ocean wildlife. So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a little nervous there for a second that you wouldn't see any color but I'm glad you did. It is a shame that we're losing the vivacity of marine life due to climate change (I imagine). Love that you got a cute little boop on the nose from your turtle friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Climate change is definitely a major factor in the reefs decline. Unfortunately, big companies are the other factor. Since COVID, some of the reef has started to regrow. Hopefully that will be enough to bring awareness and funding to help try to fix the damage done.

      Delete