ACMI Alice in Wonderland Exhibition: Falling Down the Rabbit Hole

Friday 27 July 2018
There is always something to do in Melbourne. Whether its exploring hidden laneway gems, taking in the sights or taking in a bit of culture, Melbourne doesn't disappoint. In case you were unaware, Alice in Wonderland is a story that is near and dear to my heart. For those who did not know, the title of this blog was inspired by my mild Alice obsession. When I found out an Alice in Wonderland exhibition was coming to Melbourne, you bet your bottom dollar my booty was going. 




Start your journey down the rabbit hole in this immersive and theatrical exhibit. As you wander down the stairs, you're greeted by a staff member who will give you the 'Lost Map'. This map gives you a specific Alice character and allows for a more immersive experience (I was the Mad Hatter), it's your job to find out how to enter the exhibition. There are a few different ways to enter. In true Alice fashion, I crawled my booty way in through the smallest door. 

Follow me down the rabbit hole. 

Each room unlocks more and more to Alice. Once you've made your way through the tiny door, you get to explore a bunch of rooms that share background information about Lewis Carroll and little Alice. My personal favourite? Getting to see one of the original copies of Alice's Adventures Underground. Did you know that was the original title of Alice in Wonderland?


The interactive adventure continues giving you a glimpse of the Alice in Wonderland ballet costumes, the cinematic evolution from the first B&W picture to modern Disney favourites, the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, painting the roses red, and finally a look at Tim Burton's take on Alice. 

While waiting for your tea party, in true Alice fashion, you're faced with a riddle to solve. Being the masterminds my friend and me are, we're 99% we solved the riddle. The only downside, none of the staff members had been told the answer to the riddle. We had no idea if we had solved the entire puzzle or if we needed to do a bit more digging. 


After exiting the tea party, head over to the 'Queen's Croquet Ground' and let your inner child loose to help paint the roses red. Create your own character with the stickers provided, scan it, and watch your creation come to life. It's fun for both kiddos and adults. 


It was incredible to see the evolution and the many interpretations of Lewis Carroll's beloved story. The exhibition concluded with costumes from the Tim Burton films and an 18 screen tribute to Alice. 

The Wonderland exhibit is a wonderful time for adults and children. The little ones can engage in the interactive activities while the adults take the time to read about Alice's evolution. You will absolutely be swept away by this curious exhibition.

Wonderland Exhibit


WHERE: ACMI, Federation Square, Melbourne
WHEN: 5 April –  7 Oct 2018
Open daily 10am–5pm
HOW MUCH: Full $25 Family $65 Concession $21 Child $16 Member $20

And until next time...
Stay Curious!

Never miss an adventure by following along on social media:

29 comments

  1. That's so cool !! I love this kind of exposition !
    Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing exhibit! I wish I could go to this tho. Sucks that I live miles away, actually in a different country :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool. I wish they had something like that in the US. One day I will visit Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always love the Alice in Wonderland story! This seems like such a cool exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredible to fall deeper into Carroll's world! It was so awesome.

      Delete
  5. Oh! This sounds like so much fun! I hope that exhibit comes to Florida. I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like the coolest thing out there right now. I wish I could make it to see it there. SO interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must be a weird one - I never really read the Alice in Wonderland story. I don't know how that happened but it did. This seems like a fun exhibit though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! How did that happen? You definitely should read it now. It's still great even as an adult

      Delete
  8. I didn't know this even existed! I would go just to try and solve that puzzle before the Tea Party. What a cool exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know about it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds fun. Not only will children love the place, even grown-ups will love to live some moments from their childhood dream.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds absolutely amazing! I've been reading Carroll's works aloud with my kids recently. I can't believe that the staff didn't know the answer to the riddle!

    We're lucky to live near Disney & I happen to enjoy sewing . . . so my daughter has a pretty accurate (animated Disney) costume. http://www.thephilosopherswife.net/2016/05/alice-in-wonderland-character-greeting.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that's incredible! I used to live close to Disney as well and miss it terribly.

      Delete
  12. This is a place that I have to add to my must visit list. All ages would love this type of exhibit and it is too bad that they do not have one in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That looks really amazing! I love Alice in Wonderland too and I will surely go nuts with an exhibit like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You will never ran out of stuff to do in Melbourne. These are fantastic activities and destinations to visit. Alice in Wonderland is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even if you spent your entire life trying to explore everything in Melbourne you would not be able to. It's such an incredible city.

      Delete
  15. Alice in Wonderland is such an amazing tale and an exhibit for the same must had been truly exciting. I wish they have this exhibit here too, so that I could visit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! Especially for an Alice buff like myself.

      Delete
  16. What a fantastic exhibit! We would love to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wished I lived nearby, this looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like another good reason to visit Australia. I love the views from the beaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are soo many reasons to visit Australia! The culture and exhibitions are definitely part of it!

      Delete
  19. This is such a cool exhibition! Where is this located? Wish I could have a look at this! xo, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I didn't know that your blog was inspired by Alice in Wonderland! That's so cool! This exhibit looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I heard about this. Hopefully I can go to this kind of exhibit.

    ReplyDelete